Sunday, May 12, 2013

Phoebe: Me, I'm more free. You know, I run like I did when I was a kid because that's the only way it's fun. You know? I mean, didn't you ever run so fast you thought your legs were gonna fall off, you know, like when you were running towards the swings or running away from Satan?

The neighbors dog.

I am a firm believer that having a running partner or workout partner is a must at times. It's one of the best ways to see progress.


You want to see a push in your effort?  Grab a friend and take them with you! 
Running Erwin park in McKinney is HARD.  I would probably give up after 2 miles every time if Philip was not running ahead of me.  He is my pacesetter and he is what has caused my progress out there on that dang bike trail.  Having a pacesetter makes you push harder - if they get too far ahead of you, you will pick up speed and you might not even be aware you are doing it.  When they disappear around a bend you will push to keep them in your line of sight.  No one wants to fall behind or be out done by another person.  We are competitive to our core - it is in our nature, some more than others.  By having a running partner and a pacesetter I have improved my speed, distance and my stride.  Philip keeps asking me if I want to be out front setting the pace, and for now I do not.  I want to get better at what I am doing first and watching him in front of me makes me strive for a better run.  Being the pacesetter has it's benefits for performance, I am sure.  Having soemone behind you trying to  keep up with you has got to be motivating.  But for now I am content being the caboose.
The same thing goes for the gym.  Having someone like Philip there with me makes me lift heavier.  I will push and grunt and make horrible faces!  We try harder when someone is watching us.  We push harder when we see what they can do.  We will try to mimic that strength.  We may cut corners, give in to bad form or cheat on sets when by ourselves.  But when someone is watching, especially someone you look up to or respect, you do not dare!  Because if you do, they will surely have something to say about it.  When I do my ZCUT and someone is there watching me, you can bet your ars I am doing every rep full out the best I can.  No one likes to look weak or inept!


Moral of the story:  grab a buddy and go workout!
Happy Sunday and a Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment